When special interests learn that the people of a local community are planning to pass a certain law they disagree with, they intervene by influencing the state legislature to prohibit the local community from passing their own law. These special interests gather behind closed doors with lobbyists and state legislators at ALEC meetings. ALEC pushes a number of preemption bills in states across the country.
Featured News Clips
- Brendan Fischer, An Embattled ALEC, Buoyed by Election Results, Lays Blueprint for 2015, PRWatch, November 17, 2014.
- Pew Charitable Trusts, Cities Forge Policy Apart from States, Stateline, January 15 2015.
ALEC Preemption Bills
- Living Wage Mandate Preemption Act (HTML)
- Prevailing Wage Repeal Act (HTML)
- Starting (Minimum) Wage Repeal Act (HTML)
- State Pesticide Preemption Act (HTML)
- Pre-emption of Local Agriculture Laws Act (HTML)
PRWatch Articles on ALEC Preemption
- Brendan Fischer, "Fat on Restaurant Cash, Democratic Lawmakers Float Minimum Wage Preemption in IL," PRWatch.org, November 18, 2014.
- Brendan Fischer, "An Embattled ALEC, Buoyed by Election Results, Lays Blueprint for 2015," PRWatch.org, November 17, 2014.
- Rebekah Wilce, "Oregon's GMO Sellout," PRWatch.org, May 21, 2014.
- Brendan Fischer, "Efforts to Deliver "Kill Shot" to Paid Sick Leave Tied to ALEC, PRWatch.org, April 3, 2013.
- Mary Bottari, "Hang onto that Paycheck! ALEC 'Sharpens Focus on Jobs,'" PRWatch.org April 19, 2012.